Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Clara's Organic Cotton Blanket


Where's Clara? Clara will be three in August and sometimes still plays peek a boo. Here she is hiding under the blanket I knit for her before she was born. I used Pakucho Certified Organic Cotton. The blanket is one of her favorites. It's been slept with, played with, picnicked on. Clara's mother throws it in the washer and dryer and the blanket is only softer and prettier than it was when it was new.

You don't need a pattern. Those of you who knit dishcloths will recognize this:

Row 1: Cast on 3 stitches
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: Knit 2, yarn over, knit to end
Row 4: Knit 2, yarn over, knit to end
Continue repeating row 3 until you have a triangle big enough for half of your blanket (or think you are close to having used half your yarn) then start decreasing:
Row X: Knit 1, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit to end.
Continue repeating Row X until you have three stitches on the needle. Cast off.

The yarn overs created an eyelet edge. I threaded a ribbon through the eyelet holes and tied it in a corner. And I added a simple crochetted picot border. Something like: double crochet all around, with three stitches in each corner stitch. Next row: single crochet in first stitch, single crochet, chain 3, single crochet in next stitch, single crochet. repeat around.

Here is a similiar pattern. The border is more complicated than what I did but it doesn't look too difficult.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful blanket, and Clara obviously loves it. Do you have to use circular needles? I'm a little hesitant to try it. Maybe I need to try a smaller version first to make sure I get the hang of it.

I visited a Ben Franklin store on Sunday and was mesmerized by all the yarns...

Anonymous said...

How many skeins of the organic cotton yarn would I need? What would be a good size needle?

Thank you !!

Catherine said...

Flo,

I wish I could remember how many skeins or what sized needle. I may have used an 8. I'm a fairly loose knitter. Similiar patterns call for larger needles. I didn't want it too loose because cotton stretches and I wanted it to maintain some density.

I love circular needles and use them for almost everything. But you don't have to. Use what works for you.

If you haven't done something like this for awhile, buy a skein of cotton and knit a dishcloth, washcloth or handtowel. See what size needle works for you, how tight you'd like your item to be and then get a sense of how far the yarn goes.

This is not a precise pattern as you can tell!

The full name of the yarn I used is Peru Naturtex Partners Pakucho Organic Cotton. Elann.com usually carries it but they are out. If anyone knows where it is available, I hope they will tell me. I loved it

Catherine said...

I found a source: http://www.ecobutterfly.com/catalog/Pakucho-4-1.html

Anonymous said...

Laugh all you want, but I'm gonna get 2 skeins of yarn and try a CAT blanket. There are never enough cat blankets; Catrina and Rambo take over all the throws, afgans, and fleece blankets in the house and cover them with fur and stickers. And just plain dirt. If it works, I can graduate to a baby blanket.

Anonymous said...

My baby blanket is "on the needles" now. It looks wonderful. The pattern is easy to follow. I'm using a very soft bulky yarn and #11 needles. The blanket looks almost like a flokati rug in varigated shades of white, blue, pink, and yellow. I'm looking forward to weaving the ribbon in around the edges. Thank you so much!