Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of July Heartland Shawl

Mine was a quiet 4th of July. I cleaned the house, prepared food for family arriving the next day, and cast on Evelyn Clark’s Heartland Lace Shawl.

The Ravelry Knit Along for Evelyn Clark’s Heartland Lace Shawl started in mid June but I had too many projects on my plate and, after selecting sport weight Misti Alpaca in a brick heather, knitting a gauge swatch and selecting a size 6 needle, I set the project aside. When one of the other knitters said her goal was to cast on July 4th, that worked for me.

Honoring the buffalo who once roamed strong and free seemed a fitting celebration of all that is good about my country. The bulk of the shawl is done in Clark’s Bison Tracks Lace depicting "the buffalo’s heart-shaped hoof prints alternating with small diamonds that point to the four directions on earth.” The shawl’s edging is called the River of Life. The shawl is a celebration of the buffalo’s return, she says.

I hope the buffalo are returning. Five were born this spring on a small ranch near my house. The herd of 12 graze on a hill cheering commuters on their way home from work in Sacramento. Twenty-five years ago there were only two.

My husband hung out our flag as he does every Independence Day. I hunted for the marches of John Philip Sousa on the radio to cheer my work. Instead I found myself singing “We Shall Overcome” with Bruce Springsteen.

Deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall live in peace someday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the theme of the bison tracks and the 4 directions!

CCK said...

I recently came across your blog and enjoy your thoughts on knitting and life. Thanks for sharing. I too am recently retired and am trying to find a new niche.

Catherine said...

CCK, Thank you for your comment. Retirement is great. It does take a little while to settle in, to redefine ourselves and find our niche. But it happens and I am so grateful for the choices I have today.