Wednesday, November 5, 2008

More Sweaters

Blocking Helena



Clara's Helena is blocked. Now to hem and add the border! The
hem is going to be so pretty! You do a row of (yo k2tog) and that becomes the turning row. When the hem is turned it will make a picot edge. How clever is that!








February Lady Sweater






While Helena was drying I thought I ought to start her mother's sweater. I wanted to adapt the February Lady Sweater to be more like Helena but I'd never made the February Lady and didn't trust my ability to visualize how the pattern would knit up. So I decided before I knit mom's sweater, I'd knit one as written. Here it is in green Cascade 220. I think the yarn is a good choice. The garter stitch has a tendency to stretch and a heavier yarn will help hold it in place.

This is a very simple pattern. So simple I thought I could knit without paying much attention and before I knew it I had had to cast on 5 different times! Yes, 5! The first time my brain was completely turned off and each round the increase moved over a stitch. I had placed a marker before the raglan stitch, right where the increase should go but I moved the marker before increasing. That meant that the next time around the marker came before the previous increase and not right before the raglan stitch. Wrong! Then somehow I put an extra marker in the middle of the back. How did I do that? I don't know, but I had knit several inches before I realized I was knitting a sweater to accomodate quite the dowager's hump. Then I was making the M1 increases backwards, knitting from the back on the right and the front on the left. I've written before of what comes from hurrying. Finally, when I was focused just enough to get it right, I found it to be a very easy knit and I'm just about ready to start the lace.

No comments: