Monday, June 2, 2008

Knitting In The Present Moment

There always comes a time when I want the project I’m working on done so I can go on to the next one. I start making timetables and setting deadlines for myself.

“I’ll finish this section before I go to bed. I’ll do the
rest tomorrow and block it the day after,” I tell myself.

That’s what I did yesterday with my second Swallowtail Shawl. I was making good progress, had completed 14 rows of the Budding Lace 2, all that the pattern called for, but I wanted an extra 5 pattern repeats and decided yesterday was the day I’d get them done.

I started out knitting along quickly but soon realized that the third row of the pattern repeat wasn’t working. I couldn’t figure out where I’d made a mistake. I took it out a little, fixed where I thought might be a problem. But whatever problem I fixed must have been created in the unknitting and was not what needed fixing. I took it out stitch by stitch back to the very beginning of the pattern repeat, the place where I began the day’s knitting. And then I did the same thing again. And again. I surrendered and left it to sit overnight exactly as it was when I began the day’s knitting. I’d made no progress whatsoever!

Rushing knitting is a little like rushing a two-year old child. Too often what you get is a tantrum. And it really makes no sense. It would be a lot faster to bop down to Macy’s and buy a shawl.

Knitting must be done stitch by stitch. It is a spiritual discipline really. Knitting teaches me to be fully present in the here and now, not distracted by the past or concerned for the future. When I submit to its lessons, knitting each stitch in its turn, focusing on the row I’m knitting now and not the ones I’ve decided I have to get done before I go to bed, something beautiful grows in my hands.

3 comments:

Mary Lou said...

This is so true, and beautifully described. How many times have I ripped, only to re-knit the same error? The Swallowtail is lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love your web site. It reveals so much patience, wisdom, and humor. Looking forward to reading more.

Jani said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment on my 'baby' swallowtail - your finished cream shawl is gorgeous, and I'm sure the second one will be, too!

I hope to make another one, as well. This pattern is really a fun one, but you're certainly right about not rushing things. Maybe I'll even try the nupps this time!

Best, Jani